Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Time Time Time

I have a confession. I regularly struggle with my time. I look at my “to do” list and freak out. I’m guessing I’m not alone.

Finding time to blog is rough and takes determination.

Lately, despite my conviction that blogging is a terrific and necessary tool to put my thoughts down, I've discovered that in the real world daily grind, blogging often ends up way at the bottom of the priority list. I realized it's less an issue of having the time and more an issue of prioritizing my time. I'm having a hard time with this, so this Saturday I'm going to make the time. I have also realized that I'm exhausted.

If you don’t remember, I’m a special education teacher. After what seemed to be a long school year, I couldn’t afford to take any time off and I waited tabled all summer. The school year began again without me taking a break and I think that I’m going to fall on my face. Two weeks into the school year I was transferred to another school. Starting over with new student that I don’t know and that don’t know me is not so hard but it is when I was put into a classroom with another teacher to team teach. After two weeks the students have come to know me and things have been good. I still have two holdouts but I have let them know that they can either come around or I’ll have to exercise my options. This new assignment has made me re-evaluate why I became a teacher.

Why I Teach

Our modern world has created many areas where one can enter and have an impact on the society in which we live. You can pursue fame, fortune, or just the piece of mind that comes from knowing that you have made an important contribution to society.


Teaching is one area where your impact can have the most far-reaching effect. A teacher is in a position to inspire students to be all that they can be. I can envision myself as a teacher with the power to unlock the hidden potential of any and all students. I personally believe that all students can be turned on to learn and succeed if the teacher is determined and persistent in his or her efforts to find that one spark that all students need to ignite their genuine thirst for knowledge.


I am not naive enough to think that the task of a teacher is easy or that every case will result in immediate success. I do know that the opportunity to find and develop the desire for learning will pay off by making better students and ultimately a better society. A teacher can have this kind of effect by taking advantage of the opportunity with some while attempting to inspire all.
Yes, I became a teacher, not for the great pay, or for the praise of my students, but for the opportunity to do something that would enable others the opportunity to as the army says, "be all that they can be." For I strongly believe in the slogan of the United Negro College Fund; "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."


Finding Time to Knit


With everything that I have going on at the moment, I still have to find time to knit. The last project that I completed with the Center Square hat found in Knitty. I still have that Branching Out Scarf, Central Park Hoodie, and a Baby sweater on the needles (I have a lot of needles).
I have a younger cousin that is having a baby. Now, she is not my favorite cousin but I’m using the opportunity to knit. I decided to knit the baby a sweater, hat, and blanket. Now, at the speed that I have been knitting lately, the baby may be a two years old before I send it.

I like to learn a new technique or stitch whenever I start a new project. In this project I learned to do corrugated ribbing. After a few twists and turns I finally got the hang of it. I think that it is cool.
The pattern is from Silver Creek Classics pattern number C-461. I got the pattern for my LYS.
Now I have to stop blogging and start knitting.

2 comments:

ekgheiy said...

Welcome back!! It's nice to read you again. :) That sweater is goin to be so cozy. What is your time constraint to get it done? Or better yet, when would you like to have it done?

Sherlda said...

Ekgheiy,

The baby is due in January I beleive. I think that I can have everything completed but the beginning of that month.