Monday, March 31, 2008

VOGUE

"All you need is your own imagination
So use it that's what it's for
Go inside, for your finest inspiration
Your dreams will open the door "
Madonna Vogue Album: I'm Breathless















Vogue
"The way or fashion of people at any particular time; temporary mode, custom, or practice; popular reception for the time; -- used now generally in the phrase in vogue. "


When the new Spring/Summer Vogue Knitting 2008 arrived at my LYS I just had to have it. I’ve had a great time reading and looking at the patterns these past few weeks. It is a very good issue, well done with lots of good ideas and interesting patterns. I love this knitting magazine above all the others. There are more exciting knittable and wearable items per issue than I have seen in the competitors. The pictures reflect what I plan (at least in my head) to make.

One thing I particularly like about Vogue Knitting in general is the emphasis on fashion as opposed just to knitting. There are all kinds of knitting magazines and all kinds of knitting information, some trendy, some traditional. I think traditional knitting skills and patterns are great, but what I often see in knitting magazines is that they are often not particularly geared to what is going on in the world of fashion. Vogue also gets my applause for featuring so many plus-size patterns that I would actually make and wear.
Now I know that fashion is not for everyone, and not everyone is interested. They don’t need to be. It is true that what most people wear in their day to day lives has little to do with the world of fashion. But I find it interesting. I like the way this issue combines traditional knitting patterns and skills with some very interesting ideas that are pretty trendy and stylish. Also most of the patterns are technically interesting and wearable, at least in some variation by someone. I think there is very little here that someone wouldn’t want to try. In fact I can envision someone wearing almost everything here, not necessarily me. Taste is so variable, as is style.







No comments: